we will update as we publish at AMERICAN INDIAN ADOPTEES WEBSITE - some issues with blogger are preventing this

Monday, January 12, 2015

50 Reasons: Why are you so angry #adoption

I am angry about lots of things like the list above...Trace

Adoptees, Why Are You So Angry?

I asked one simple question, “WHY ARE YOU ANGRY?” over 50 adoptees chimed in. Here are their responses:
...Because anger gives me energy to handle all the hurts, if I were to just feel my sadness I would fall into a depression. A bit of anger helps me keep my head above water to fight for adoptions laws to change for adoptions to be open, ethical and more support services. I work in adoptions because I am angry with people not doing adoptions correctly and I want to be a part of the solution and help change, influence those around me. I am angry because I did not get a say, my loss was and still not validated. I still don’t get a say. Reunion 24 years. Adoptive parents died 20 years ago; yet I cannot unadopt myself. I cannot legally be my mother’s daughter or my father’s daughter. This makes me angry that I do not have the same self-determination than non-adoptees.


...My parents adopted me, and then treated me like shit. People always ask me “Why did they adopt you?” It’s the million dollar question. The closest I could come to was that I was a lemon for them and they had buyer’s remorse. For some reason I still hung on, from the fringes and it wasn’t until I read this page that it occurred to me that I could simply let go and just walk away from the pain of being an outcast in my adoptive immediate family. I haven’t yet let go, and maybe I won’t but it really sucks to feel like you were rejected twice and still feel a connection to people who for all intents and (insensitive) purposes…don’t want me. It does give me some measure of comfort that at some point, should I chose to I can decide to divorce my family and just be me, not defined by them and all that I endured as their “Mistake.”

Many Blessings to all, and thanks for reading!
Pamela Jones AKA @freesimplyme
http://www.facebook.com/howdoesitfeeltobeadopted
For any adoptees who read this that would like to be added to this poll, feel free to email me at adopteeinrecovery@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell us your thoughts!

Contact Trace

Name

Email *

Message *